With my birthday coming up on the 23rd, I thought it would only be right for me to reflect and open up about the many life lessons I have learned throughout my first 24 years of living.
1. You can’t eat Sour Patch Kids and Fritos the way you did when you were younger. They are your kryptonite. So REFRAIN.
2. It’s important to have friends of all different ages, genders, and backgrounds. The learning will be endless.
3. Take the extra half an hour in the morning to doll yourself up. You’ll feel better.
4. You do not need a degree in order to be happy or successful.
5. Cheap clothing, accessories, and furniture usually break or wear and tear very easily. Instead of spending your money on copious amounts of inexpensive things, save the money and invest in items that will last you a long period of time.
6. True love exists.
7. Nothing will compare to the feeling of paying your debt off.
8. Purchase locally produced food as often as you can.
9. You don’t have to be particularly talented at anything — Just very hardworking and stubborn about your goals.
10. Don’t let family or childhood friendships manipulate you into sticking around for the sake of “unconditional love”. Your love should always be conditional.
11. Support small businesses.
12. There’s no need to be super militant about your diet. Have some fun every now and then.
13. Who you were in the past doesn’t define who you are today.
14. And anybody who keeps trying to place you back into that box is not worth keeping around.
15. Disinfect your phone at least once a week or else you’re going to get pimples on the side of your face.
16. Karma’s inevitable.
17. Labeling things like your star sign, sexuality, and personality type may seem silly to you; but it brings other people comfort so when they ask, just tell them anyway.
18. Laughter and nature are the best medicine.
19. Anytime a cat comes up to you outside, take the time to say hello and pet it.
20. People who body shame are really just showcasing their own insecurities.
21. The news will constantly blare chaotic images and stories about people who hate each other. You mustn’t let it transcend into your day to day life. There is more good in the world than bad.
22. Money won’t make you happy, but the freedom of having it will.
23. The world will try to shatter you. But even your resilience is resilient.
24. Never go a day without appreciating something or someone that brings you safety, comfort, or happiness. Gratefulness will always fill your life up with love.
I’d love to hear from you: What has been your biggest life lesson? If you have any wisdom you’d like to share, leave a comment below.