Many people are intimidated by cream blush, and I get it. I was that way too.
Up until recently I was a powder blush fanatic and wouldn’t have dared to use any other formula. My routine was simple: Liquid foundation, setting powder, powder blush, powder contour, and powder highlighter. So basically: powder, powder, and more powder.
As someone who has dry skin, these powders were telling on me. They were exposing every dry patch lingering on my face, no matter how much moisturizer I would apply beforehand.
Until… I saw the light. *a harp plays softly in the background*
I’ve now completely switched gears. Nowadays, my routine usually goes: Liquid foundation, cream blush, cream contour, cream highlighter. And boy oh boy, what a difference it has made to how my makeup sits on my skin.
* Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links. This means that if you purchase an item or items through one of those links, you won’t pay a penny more, but we’ll earn a commission for the influence of the sale. For more information, please read our disclaimer.
Why Cream Blush?
If you’re somebody who lives in a colder climate or has dry or mature skin, cream blushes will do you wonders. They help by adding in extra moisture to your skin and providing a healthy-looking, youthful dewiness that powder blushes simply won’t do.
Cream blush tends to look a lot more natural than powder blushes do. This is because powder blushes tend to sit on top of the skin, whereas cream blushes melt into it, mimicking the natural texture of the skin.
It’s easier than you think.
Once you get the hang of it, applying cream blush is a breeze. You’ll be just as shocked as I was as to why you haven’t started using this makeup product sooner!
How To Apply Cream Blush
1. If you have any redness in your skin, begin by applying a green colour correcting primer prior to applying your foundation. This will help neutralize and cancel out any of your natural rosiness and make way for your cream blush.
2. Make sure to work with wet formulas such as dewy foundations, bb creams, and tinted moisturizers. This will help create a smooth base for your cream blush. Ensure that your foundation is still slightly moist, as this will help the cream blush blend in seamlessly with the rest of your products.
3. Contrary to popular belief, smiling whilst applying blush isn’t the greatest idea. The reason for this is because as soon as you stop smiling, the blush drops and ends up sitting much lower on the face. Instead, apply the blush to the apples of your cheeks with a regular expression.
4. The best way to apply cream blush is with your fingertips. This is because the warmth of your hands help to seamlessly blend and melt the product into your skin, giving it a natural flush of colour. It also gives you much more control over how much product you’re placing on your cheeks.
5. Lightly dab into your cream blush with your index and middle finger. It’s always best to use a minimal amount of product and build the colour, rather than going all in and making the blush look too heavy.
6. Use a light hand to apply the cream blush. Gentle tap the product into the apples of your cheeks and blend it backwards, following the natural structure of your cheekbones.
7. If you happen to add too much colour or the product is too concentrated in one area, don’t freak out. Simply dampen a beauty blender sponge to dilute and blend the product out.
8. If you’re not comfortable using your hands to apply makeup, make sure to invest in a good quality makeup brush to help you get the job done. Simply move your brush in light strokes over the apples of your cheeks, ensuring that it is properly blended and that there are no streaks.
My Favourite Cream Blushes
1. Clé de Peau Cream Blush
Very natural looking, blends easily, very smooth and moisturizing, stays put no matter the temperature.
2. Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge
Only need a small amount of product for a lot of pigment, lasts all day, glides on very easily.
3. La Prairie Cellular Radiance Cream Blush
Has lots of staying power, perfect for a natural flushed look, lightweight on the skin, dewy.
4. NYX Rouge Cream Blush
Affordable, glides on smoothly, blends well, wide colour selection.
5. Laura Mercier Crème Cheek Color
Easy to apply and blend, long lasting, natural finish, great pigmentation.
6. BY TERRY Cellularose Blush Glacé
Feels and smells incredible, provides a soft radiant glow, blends out like a dream, hydrating.
Do you use cream blushes? If so, what are your favourites?
Let me know in the comment section below!