If you’ve considered starting a blog for a while, but had no idea where to begin, you are in for a treat today, my friend!
This tutorial is super easy to follow and you’ll be thrilled to know that it only contains 5 steps.
Oh… And did I mention that starting a blog will only cost you about the price of a cup of coffee every month? No?
Well, it’s true!
Not only do you get an awesome deal, but you’ll also gain access to a platform in which you’ll be able to creatively express yourself every day, without limitation.
Are you ready to get started?
Let’s do this! 🙂
* Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links. This means that if you purchase an item or items through one of those links, you won’t pay a penny more, but we’ll earn a small commission for the influence of the sale. For more information, please read our disclaimer.
STEP 1: BEFORE STARTING THE SIGN UP PROCESS, PICK YOUR DOMAIN NAME
Here are some guidelines to consider while brainstorming for your blog’s name:
– Make sure it’s user friendly. Although princessconsuelabananahammockhasablog.net may seem like a good (or funny) idea, it’ll take your readers some considerable attention to make sure it’s typed in correctly. Try to make it short and sweet so all of your readers can return to your blog over and over again. Remember — if it’s easy to type, it’ll be easy to remember.
– Think long-term. Many bloggers and YouTubers have expressed their regret with their chosen username, as they picked it prior to thinking they would make a business out of their pastime. Even if you’re not in it for the business, you never know what the future will hold. So, better safe than sorry!
– Jot down a handful of different names you’d consider. Sometimes the one you really want has already been taken, so it’s a good idea to have some other options or variations you like.
– Use the appropriate domain name extension for your business. Usually ‘.com’ looks the most professional and works best for bloggers, however, use what feels right to you.
– Keep it unique to avoid issues like trademark infringement.
STEP 2: SIGN UP FOR YOUR DOMAIN + HOSTING
Click here to go to Bluehost. (This link will open in a new window so you can follow along as you create your new account.)
Select the big green “Start Your Website” button.
You will be led to a page of the different plans Bluehost offers. I recommend registering for the basic plan if you’re just looking to test out the waters or use your blog for hobby purposes. However, if you’re planning on getting serious with blogging, opt for a plus or prime plan as they offer more website space and extra features.
After selecting your plan of choice, you’ll then be brought to a page which asks you to enter in the domain name you’d like. If the domain name isn’t available, simply pick a different one from the list of name ideas you created earlier.
Once your domain name has been approved, you’ll then be redirected to the “Create Your Account” section. This page is where you’ll fill out all of your personal information.
Underneath the ‘package information’ section, you’ll see that it asks you to select an account plan. I highly recommend registering for the 36 (or 60) month plan if you’re looking to blog long-term, as you’ll save a great chunk of cash.
In the same section, you’ll also see that Bluehost offers add-ons for a fee, such as Search Engine Jumpstart and SiteLock Security. You can choose whichever add-ons you feel are necessary, however the Domain Privacy Protection feature is something you should definitely register for. This will protect you from any potential unsafe happenings, as it won’t display any of your personal information on the “WhoIs” database. (This worldwide database allows anyone on the internet to search up a domain name and receive access to the website owner’s full legal name, address, and more.)
Once you have entered in all of your information, click ‘Submit’.
You will now find a welcome email in your inbox that contains your control panel (aka cPanel) login info.
STEP 3: INSTALL WORDPRESS
Now that the domain and hosting has been secured, it’s time to install WordPress. WordPress is the tool that will help you create, build, and design your website.
Go to Bluehost and click “login” to sign in with the cPanel login info you received in your email.
Once you’re logged in, navigate to “home” and select “Install WordPress”.
Click “Start” to begin the installation.
Once the installation is complete, you’ll receive your WordPress login info by email. This is the info you’ll use to sign in to your dashboard. (The dashboard is where you’ll spend most of your time posting, organizing, and customizing your blog’s content.)
To login to your account, simply add /wp-admin after your url.
It should look like this: yourdomainname.com/wp-admin
STEP 4: INSTALL YOUR WORDPRESS THEME
Now it’s time to get to the fun part — Making your site look the way you want!
To install a theme, go to your dashboard. On the left hand side, select “Appearance” > “Themes”.
Click on the “WordPress.org Themes” tab to begin browsing.
Once you’ve found the theme you want to use for your blog, click on “Install” then “Activate”.
To customize the theme to your liking, simply go to “Appearance” > “Customize”. From there, you can select the colours, fonts, and any other features you’d like for your theme.
STEP 5: WRITE YOUR FIRST BLOG POST
The moment of truth — Your first piece of content!
To write a blog post, simply select “Posts” > “Add New” from your dashboard.
Take a look around and familiarize yourself with the visual editor. It pretty much has the same settings as any other word processing software has (bold, italic, headings, numbered lists, etc.).
Once your blog post has been written, hit the big blue “Publish” button on the right and voila — Your blog post will now be live!
I hope this was helpful to many of you. If you have any questions at all, leave them down below and I’ll get back to you. Also, if you do end up starting a blog, feel free to leave your link down in the comment section — I’d love to check them out. 🙂