* Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links. This means that if you purchase an item or items through one of those links, you won’t pay a penny more, but we’ll earn a commission for the influence of the sale. For more information, please read our disclaimer.
WHY SHOULD I START A BLOG?
– It costs under $5 a month and only 15 minutes of your time to get started.
– You can make money while you sleep.
– You’re free to blog when and how you want.
– You can build and connect with like-minded people from all over the world.
– You’ll have a creative outlet to share your story and your skills.
WHAT SHOULD I BLOG ABOUT?
Anything that interests you, really! If you’re into nail art, that could be your blog’s main focus. Maybe you really like collecting affordable clothing pieces and showing them off in #OOTDs. It can be anything you’re currently excited about or looking to explore more of. And if you’re not sure or you just happen to like a variety of different topics, you can always go down the route of being a lifestyle blogger. The good news is, is that no matter what, you can always change your niche as you go! You’re in charge.
WHAT EQUIPMENT WILL I NEED?
– A computer and an internet connection.
– A camera. I use an Olympus Pen with either a 45mm lens or 17mm lens, depending on the photo being taken. However, if you don’t have the budget to purchase a camera right away, don’t worry about it too much. Lots of bloggers start out by using their iPhone’s camera at first. Whichever tool you do end up using, just make sure that there’s always a lot of natural light coming in when capturing your photos.
WHAT ARE SOME BLOGGING WORDS I SHOULD KNOW BEFORE GETTING STARTED?
– “Self-hosted” means that you don’t use a free service to run your blog. You have complete control over everything.
– “Bluehost” is a hosting company that will give you your space on the internet. (And how you’ll become self-hosted.)
– “WordPress.org” is a website creation tool. This is where you’ll be able to customize your website’s appearance, add different capabilities, and publish blog posts.
ANYTHING ELSE I NEED TO KNOW?
Nope! Just click through this link to open Bluehost and begin following the step-by-step instructions I’ve listed below. The whole process is really easy and it’ll only take you a few minutes to become the proud new owner of a blog. 🙂
HOW TO START YOUR BLOG, STEP BY STEP
STEP 1: DECIDE ON A DOMAIN NAME
The first thing you’ll want to do is decide on what you’d like your website to be called.
As you brainstorm and jot down ideas, make sure that the name is:
– User friendly. Although princessconsuelabananahammockhasablog.net may seem like a good (or funny) idea, it’ll take your readers some considerable attention to make sure it’s typed in correctly. Try to make it short and sweet so all of your readers can return to your blog over and over again. Remember — if it’s easy to type, it’ll be easy to remember.
– Good for the long-term. Many bloggers and YouTubers have talked about their regrets with their initial chosen username, as they picked it prior to thinking they would make a name for themselves. Even if you’re not in it for the business, you never know what the future will hold. So, it’s better to be safe than sorry!
– Unique, so that you avoid issues such as trademark infringement.
STEP 2: SIGN UP FOR YOUR DOMAIN + HOSTING
(This link will open in a new window so you can follow along as you create your new account.)
Click the big green “Get Started Now” button.
You will be led to a page of the different plans Bluehost offers. I recommend registering for the Basic plan if you’re just looking to just test out the waters or use your blog for hobby purposes. However, if you’re planning on getting serious about blogging, you’ll probably need more web space, so one of the plus plans may be better options for you.
After selecting your plan of choice, you’ll then be brought to a page which asks you to enter in the domain name you’d like. If the domain name isn’t available, simply pick a different one from the list of name ideas you created earlier.
Once your domain name has been approved, you’ll then be redirected to the “Create Your Account” section. This page is where you’ll fill out your personal, package, and payment information.
Out of the extras listed, it’s a good idea to pay the extra 99 cents per month for Domain Privacy Protection, as it’ll keep all of your private information safe online.
Once everything has been filled out, ensure that you have clicked the box to agree to the terms of service and then hit “Submit”.
Next, you’ll be asked to enter in a password for your account. Make sure that it’s secure and you have it written down somewhere so you don’t forget it.
STEP 3: INSTALL WORDPRESS
As I mentioned earlier, WordPress is the tool that you’ll use to make your blog posts. And luckily, since you’ve signed up with Bluehost, it’s free to install and really, really simple.
After you’ve entered in your password, you’ll be asked to pick a theme. You don’t have to think too long and hard about this right now, as you can always change it later. For now, just pick anything or click “skip this step”.
Click on “Start Building”.
On the next screen, then select either Business or Personal — It’s up to you.
And voila! Your blog is all set up and ready to use! See how easy that was?
Now you can explore the dashboard and check out all of the features it has. “Posts” > “Add New” is where you’ll type and publish your blog posts, “Media” is where you can add images into, “Appearance” is where you’ll be able to play with your blog’s overall look, and so on and so forth. So go have fun and check everything out!
Now that I’ve set up my website, how do I get people to actually see it?
The best way to get eyes on your blog is by promoting your posts on social media sites that already have a large amount of users.
Pinterest and Instagram are the best platforms to do this on since they’re so visual.
Pinterest is great because unlike other social platforms (such as Facebook and Instagram), the content is always circulating through the website as if it’s “new”, which leads it to constantly being discovered by new people.
Instagram on the other hand, is definitely more demanding in the sense that new content has to constantly be posted in order to stay relevant. However, it’s a wonderful way to connect with your audience and show them the real you.
So, both are definitely necessary for building your brand and growing your blog.
I personally use Tailwind to promote my content on these websites because all I have to do is input the content into my schedule, and it’ll automatically post it for me.
This means that content can go up at all hours of the day, without me having to be glued to my phone or computer.
So, for example, I’ll schedule 100 of my own pins to go up for an entire week, and Tailwind will just post all of them for me, no matter if it’s 3am, 1pm, or 9pm. This targets people with different schedules and people from different parts of the world, so my blog can be exposed to as many readers as possible.
They have a free trial going on right now where you can schedule 100 pins and 30 Instagram posts, so if you get the chance, I definitely recommend trying it out.
Regardless of whether you get Tailwind or not, just remember that social media is key for getting your blog out there, so make sure to post your content and engage with others on these platforms as often as you can!
Congrats on starting your very own blog! If you have any questions at all about this tutorial, leave them down in the comment section below and I’ll get back to you. All the best!